
A couple of weeks ago I was standing underneath the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City looking out over the Hudson River, admiring the Statue of Liberty. As so many have done before, I couldn’t help but try to imagine the journey of the immigrants who landed on our shores in hopes of a better life. The magnitude of such an idea, such a journey, and such a way of life is one that I often find hard to comprehend. But it is this idea, this right of passage that has helped shape this country into what it is today. It is those hopes and dreams of a better life that still fuel us as a people and a country.
I bring this up because of my deep concern for where this country is headed and how far we are steering from what we once were. I thought I was concerned 4 years ago, after one term of George Bush, but it is nothing compared to my fears right now. It’s possible the magnitude has more to do with where I am in my own life now as opposed to 4 years ago and the copious amounts of new “real” world problems I am faced with. From health care coverage to taxes and the environment, I find myself feeling more and more affected by these issues each day. This is why I feel much more invested in the upcoming presidential election than ever before. And I think it is important we try to understand the importance of what is at stake.
We are looking at a historical campaign, and I am most certainly not referring to one half of Barrack Obama or the bottom half of the Republican ticket. I am referring to the downward spiral of this economy, the war which is costing billions and billions of dollars, the innocent lives being taken, our environment and public safety, more affordable living and costs, universal health care coverage, and any other issue being brought up. It is historical because of the great divide on these issues, and it is historical because Mr. Bush has decided to lead this country into a very fragile state at the expense of his bolstered checkbook. It is time for this country to do what it has always done, to stand up for itself, to band together and institute the change that is necessary to bring the nation back to the standard we hold so highly.
Because personally, I am sick of the lies, the bullshit, the politics, and the constant state of fear this country is being taught to live in. The media makes me sick and the exploitation of our fears in order to make a quick buck or to appease certain people of power is a despicable and deplorable concept (that’s for another entry). The smear ads, the accusing, the personal issues, and the rest of it has no place in shaping the next 4 years of this country. I don’t give a fuck how many houses John McCain owns, I most certainly don’t care if Mr. Obama was taking a swipe at Governor Palin with his lipstick comment, and you shouldn’t care either. What everyone in this entire country should care about is how will this economy crisis be solved? How will we begin or try to repair our relationships around the world? How will we resolve the War? How can we get back to the standard that America so rightly deserves? When are we going to start taking care of our own people?
I want answers to THESE questions, all the rest of it should be left for the tabloids. The Republican media machine is running full steam ahead right now, Democrats are panicking, half the nation doesn’t give a fuck, and another big portion are so turned off by both these candidates they don’t even want to vote. I wish everyone would take a step back and realize what is going on. I hope the American people have enough sense to see through the bullshit attack ads with out of context quotes and terrible underlying inferences about a candidate. And can we PLEASE just fucking knock it off with the patriotic/unpatriotic bullshit.
I’m not really sure where I just went or where I am going with this blog, but I do know there’s a lot more rambling to be done, so stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment